What is Friends of Lulu?
Friends of Lulu is a national organization whose main purpose is to promote and encourage female readership and participation in the comic book industry. Among the goals of the organization are:
1. To increase female readership of comics
2. To promote the work of women in comics
3. To offer networking opportunities and general support to women in comics
4. To facilitate communication among women and men who share the organization’s purpose
What does Friends of Lulu do?
Friends of Lulu:
1. Provides educational and research material about women in comics
2. Provides input to publishers, retailers, and the public on the kinds of comics that appeal to a female readership and on how to reach that readership
3. Facilitates networking opportunities for females in the comic book industry
4. Connects young women who wish to create comic books with female professionals for mentorship
5. Publishes a recommended reading list
6. Offers seminars on select topics
Who can join?
Membership is open to women and men of all ages who support the organization’s goals. You can join if you are a professional (a person who works or has worked in or on behalf of the comic book industry) or simply someone who reads and enjoys comics. If you are under 18 you are considered a “Jr. Lulu.”
Is there a local chapter near me?
Friends of Lulu has an active chapter in New York. Formerly active chapters are now dormant in Los Angeles, the San Francisco Bay Area, and Chicago. If you would like to open up a chapter in your city, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How Do I Join?
PLEASE NOTE: NEW MEMBERSHIPS ARE ON HOLD, BUT WE WELCOME VOLUNTEERS, QUESTIONS, AND PARTICIPANTS. IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO GET INVOLVED WITH FRIENDS OF LULU, PLEASE CONTACT US AT INFO@FRIENDS-LULU.ORG